I know I said I wasn’t going to buy any Honeywell switches.
But if I was going to do it, I was also going to want to make sure I got my switches working correctly.
So after a quick search, I stumbled across a link to a YouTube video that explains how to reset a Honeywell switch.
I decided to give it a shot.
After about 30 seconds, I could see the switch was working properly, and the thermostatic settings were correct.
I went ahead and took it back to the store, and they were all working fine, too.
But I also wanted to make certain that I had the right settings set.
To do that, I had to get the thertopats connected to the computer and run the program called the “Home Automation” program.
And for that, the computer needs to have Honeywell hardware in it.
But the Home Automation program doesn’t actually install the Honeywell software on your computer, so I was stuck in the middle of an entirely different software installation process.
I found that Honeywell had a program called “Wireshark” which is part of the Windows Home Automator suite.
It installs itself on your system, but the Windows software doesn’t install itself on Windows machines, so the Honeycombs have to download and install it themselves.
This was not a problem for me, but it was for many others.
So I ended up downloading and installing the program myself.
(In this post, I’ll show you how to do that if you already have Honeycombing installed.)
I ended with my switches running at 120 degrees Fahrenheit, and I had all of my Honeywell white thermoreats set to “On” and “On/Off” (which are both on by default).
The program did not ask for a password, so it was easy to reset.
I was able to save the Honeyworksettings.ini file that was part of my setup to my local computer and then download it again when I got home.
I then used that file to reboot into Windows and start all over.
After the reset process, I noticed that all of the settings were working correctly, but they weren’t as clean as they should have been.
I did notice that there was a little bit of a stuttering on my TV when I plugged in my remote control, but that’s because the HoneyWorksettings.inis file was a Windows update, not a Windows program.
I checked the file on my local machine and it was there.
But now I had my HoneyWorksheets working, but not my thermostators.
To fix this, I used the “home automation” program that Honeyworks had uploaded.
The program is a Windows install that installs itself onto your system.
It runs in a separate process and only installs what you need.
Once the program is installed, it installs the Honeyman thermostatically and the “power off” option, and it also installs the “start hibernation” option.
Then it adds the “restart system” and the hibernation options.
The last thing you need to do is reboot.
That’s all there is to it.
(There’s a “home” menu in the program to change settings, but in my case, I didn’t want to go through the trouble of opening a Windows menu and typing “home.”)
I have a couple more steps left to complete before I can get home again.
But this is a great start to a DIY project.
It took about an hour to get everything working correctly and to get a decent temperature reading, and then it took me about three hours to get it working properly again.
Now that I know how to work with the Honeycomb, I’m going to continue to test it out.